If THIS, Then THAT! - IFTTT

OK, so I just tried IFTTT.... I work in technology, and there are quite a few tools that I use where I have to build conditional statements.... CASE WHEN...THEN,...ELSE.....

Sooooo, conceptually, I get it. And it's AWESOME! What a clever way to use a basic conditional statement to perform an action or function. Very cool. On a more philosophical level, I can't help but feel like we are moving into the modern-day baroque/ rococo eras... Where everything is done in excess... where the function is no longer the source of the beauty, but instead, the beauty is in the "over the top"...the embellishments become over-embellished; the adornments taking precedence over the function. Maybe it's just me, and I am still living a bit with my head in the sand... even with the exposure to all of the awesome tools now available, I am still reticent to put some of the information IFFT is requesting into a centralized app that then performs actions based on the inputs. I also only use automatic bill pay for my mortgage, car payment and insurance. I want to have a say in, and control of my life. While some of the suggested "recipe's" are pretty darn cool, I still only keep my location turned on in my cell when I am using the GPS/ Maps feature. And while I know that there is a chip that can be tracked, buried in the depths of my phone, I still prefer to keep it off. Even though it's a bit more of a pain to do some things.

Sorry for the brief diatribe, I just don't think this tool is for me:). I am sure many others don't have the same concerns. Really, I do understand that the data tracking is done primarily at a meta level, and big brother is looking more at the aggregate data I contribute to over my personal contribution. I am just still reticent to actively contribute by programming recipes that generate action based on my location, my phone number, my Facebook account. I still feel our rules and regulations protecting our digital persona are far behind the technological advances occurring daily.

Comments

  1. Definitely not my thing. It is super cool to have automation. But I do not like to connect all accounts together. If you want to lock your door after you leave automatically, I think some fancy gadgets need to be installed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morning Evening. I agree with you. It's just not my thing either....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts