Memories of years gone by...flashback to analog life

Memories.... as I read our assigned reading, memories of years gone by fill my mind. I earned my BA in Humanities, with an emphasis in Art History, focusing on the Renaissance. I was fortunate enough to live in Firenze, Italia for 5 months, studying abroad in summer/fall of 1999. Prior to leaving for my grand adventure, I'd had an AllTel phone for about a year, but the payment plan did not include unlimited texting. In fact, I really didn't know anyone who texted, as a main mode of communication. Being able to call your friends/family wherever you were was more than enough!

When I moved oversees, I found that people in Italy really texted A LOT! It was definitely a precursor to what was to come...everyone was heads down, typing frantically and furiously on these mobile phones... pre-keypad, so every text was almost painful to watch. They also had different SIM cards, and depending upon what they were doing, would switch the SIM cards out; international phone calls got the SIM card with the fabulous international plan. Another SIM card had a good text plan. Perhaps it was my friends, but I think it was more widespread than that...When I returned to the US, within a year (and probably specifically related to the decrease in text messaging service plans across cell companies), texting was rampant! It's continued to become more and more prevalent in our societies....

A few years later, I distinctly remember my friend having a RAZR phone, and it's "claim to fame" was being able to connect to the internet, listen to music, and a screen big enough to see the low res pics you took:). I remember thinking how much cooler and technologically advanced her phone was, versus my flip phone....

Similar to my other posts, I'm curious, sociologically, on where you were and your personal experiences on the advent of cell interaction, and mobile computing.

I'd love to read about your personal experiences as well! Take a moment, reflect, and share your experiences!



Comments

Popular Posts